Center for Evidence-based Medicine
The Center for Evidence-Based Medicine was founded in 2018 with the idea of being a place of scientific excellence, continuous education and popularization of evidence-based medicine.
Scientists and teaching staff of the following units work within the Center:
The Center closely collaborates with the Science department of the University Hospital of Split
and the Research Office of the University of Split School of Medicine
The mission and vision of the Center
The activities of the Center aim to improve the School's and the University Hospital's scientific production and healthcare quality. The activities of the Center support long-term plans of the University of Split School of Medicine administration to develop scientific and teaching cooperation with the University Hospital of Split. By uniting activities of the departments included in the Center, we encourage joint project applications and gain new funding sources, as well as expand the existing cooperation between the institutions.
Activities of the Center
The Center, along with other School departments, especially clinical departments and the institutes, clinics and departments of the University Hospital of Split, contributes to the further development of the existing activities:
- Encouraging research cooperation between the University Hospital and the School of Medicine by encouraging cooperation between scientists and by providing help in planning, implementation and publishing of the scientific papers;
- Continuous education of health professionals in scientific methodology and methodological training within specialist studies programmes;
- Participating in courses taught at the School of Medicine as a part of graduate or postgraduate programmes
- Applying for various scientific and infrastructural projects;
- Cooperating with other institutions to achieve the stated goals;
- Providing assistance in access to state-of-the-art information sources (e.g. Cochrane Library);
- Popularisation of science;
- Providing commercial counselling services in the field of evidence-based medicine.
Special attention is paid to working with students, who are actively involved in all aspects of the Center's work and have the opportunity to gain knowledge and experience in evidence-based medicine and thus better prepare for professional work after graduation.
Active and recent projects
- Horizon Europe iRISE: Improving Reproducibility In SciencE, 2023-2025 (group by Prof. A. Marušić, MD, PhD)
- Horizon Europe iRECS: improving Research Ethics Expertise and Competences to Ensure Reliability and Trust in Science, 2022-2025 (group by Prof. A. Marušić, MD, PhD)
- H2020 EnTIRE: Mapping Normative Frameworks for EThics and Integrity of Research, 2017-2020 (group by Prof. A. Marušić, MD, PhD),
- H2020 VIRT2UE: Virtue based ethics and Integrity of Research: Train-the-Trainer program for Upholding the principles and practices of the European Code of Conduct for Research Integrity, 2018-2021 (group by Prof. A. Marušić, MD, PhD),
- H2020 SOPs4RI: Standard Operating Procedures for Research Integrity, 2019-2022. (group by Prof. A. Marušić, MD, PhD),
- ERASMUS+ project at the University of Split - European University of the Sea, since 2019. (Prof. Ana Marušić, MD, PhD is a collaborator on the project),
- ERASMUS+ project at the University of Split - Personalized Medicine Inquiry-Based Education, since 2019. (Prof. Ana Marušić, MD, PhD, Ružica Tokalić, MD, PhD, Marin Viđak, MD, PhD - collaborators on the project),
- ERASMUS+ project at the University of Split - Integration of Transversal skills into healthcare and social care higher education and curriculum, since 2020. (Prof. Ana Marušić, MD, PhD - a collaborator on the project)
- ERASMUS+ project at the University of Split - Evidence Implementation in Clinical Practice, since 2021. (Asst. Prof. Tina Poklepović Peričić, DMD, PhD)
- HRZZ project: Professionalism in Health: Decision Making in Practice and Research, ProDeM, since 2020. (research project leader: Prof. Ana Marušić, MD, PhD)
Prof. Ana Marušić, MD, PhD
Prof. Darko Duplančić, MD, PhD
Nensi Bralić, DMD
Mariano Kaliterna, MD
Jakov Matas, MD
Antonija Mijatović, PhD
Dora Pejdo, mag. psych.
Assist. Prof. Tina Poklepović Peričić, DMD
Assist. Prof. Marija Roguljić, DMD
Luka Ursić, mag. hist.
Miro Vuković, MD
Marija Franka Žuljević, MD
The Center cooperates with researchers from other institutions abroad, as well as with colleagues from the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, University of Split, and colleagues from the Center for Evidence-Based Medicine of the Croatian Catholic University. Through the Croatian Cochrane, the Center cooperates with a number of partners, which include representatives of the public and scientific and professional organizations
International memberships and activities
European Association of Science Editors (EASE)
Committee on Publication Ethics (COPE)
European Association of Centres of Medical Ethics (EACME)
Guidelines International Network (GIN)
Information about health for patients and their families - understanding health information